Monday, December 28, 2009

The Lonely Inevitable Path

Death

Two of my lovely teen cousins, whom I was very close to, were among the 10 victims of the double decker bus accident last Boxing day. According to reports, both of Raheel (her nickname was Shifa’) and Hasanah died instantly, side by side.
They were always together. Anywhere that Shifa’ is, Hasanah would certainly tag along. Even when their time was up, and they were being called to meet with the Maker, they were still side by side.

May Allah bless their souls.

I practically grew up with them. When I was young, mom would send me off to Penang during school holidays so that I could play with two of Shifa’ and Hasanah’s elder brothers. I would stay at my uncle’s house and every morning, he would send all of his children and me to our grandmother’s house. Hasanah was still a toddler at that time so her mom would take her to work. Most of the time we would try not to allow Shifa’ to join our games because “she’s a girl and it’s a boy’s game” attitude. She was a good sport.

I can still remember seeing Hasanah’s big bump on her head when she was a baby when Shifa’, being a little bit to strong, rocked Hasanah’s bouncer too hard till Hasanah practically flew across the room. Tsk tsk tsk.

Shifa’ and Hasanah are two of my most talkative cousins. They are so friendly and bubbly, that whenever they are around, you will not be able to stop laughing. When I just got engaged to the Bride and invited her to a breakfast at my house, they instantly “took care” of her by being her company throughout the night. If it was not for them both, I am quite sure it would have been a really awkward night for the Bride.
Alisha (I have decided to use my daughter’s real name in my blog) met them for the first time during Shifa’ and Hasanah’s eldest brother’s wedding. Alisha was full of poop when she met them. She had just pooped in front of the mosque and the Bride and I were cleaning her with the both of them chit chatting with Alisha. When Hasanah carried her, Alisha didn’t want to let go of her tudung. Cheekily, Hasanah said, “She doesn’t want to let me go because I am so beautiful”. I smiled and nodded in agreement.

They were both so very beautiful during their brother’s wedding.

I remember telling the Bride to look at how beautiful Shifa’ was. It is still a shock for me to realise that two weeks later, I was there again to pay them my last visit.

As I was consoling their brother’s, I told them that now is not the time to talk about “what if”. What if they did not take that bus? What if they took the seats upstairs? Etc.

Instead, it is about “at least”. At least they did not suffer. At least they did not survive being paralyzed or disfigured with permanent scars. At least this happened after the wedding reception, or else that wedding would not have been a happy occasion. Most importantly, at least, two weeks before their accident, they had spent the happiest time of their lives, glowing ever so beautiful and meeting every family member in a happy and cheerful mood.
Their eldest brother said, "Allah took both of them at the same time. He borrowed them to us for such a short period of time."
"He knows you and your family can accept this test. He knows that you and your family's faith would be even stronger with this test. That is why he took both at the same time. Allah only tests us to our capabilities. He would not try us beyond our capability. You must be strong to triumph this test. You must be strong to be your mother's support. She needs you all now. Be her support," I replied.

Death.

It is certainly certain. Every living soul will taste it. No where in this world could you ever run away from it.
My spiritual teacher taught me that the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) would say this when he met with family members who had just lost someone:

'A'zama-Ilahu Ajraka wa Ahsana 'Azaa-ka wa Ghafara Li-Mayyitika
May Allah enhance your recompense and be generous in your calamity and forgive the deceased

And the one who had lost someone would reply:

“Al-Baqa’ Lillah”
“Immortality belongs only to Allah”

I read in one book about death that once the Angel Death appeared in the form of a human being in the court of Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) and gazed continuously at one person for some time. That person asked Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.), "Who is that person (who is gazing at me)?" Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) told him that that was the Angel of Death. He remarked: The Angel of Death had gazed at me in such a manner as if he had determined to take my life." Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) asked him, "What do you want?" He requested Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) to take him to India so he could be with his family. Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) then commanded some clouds to pick the man up and drop him in India. Consequently the cloud carried him to India. After a while, the Angel of Death came to Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) and Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.) asked the Angel of Death, "Why did you fix your gaze at that person?" The Angel of Death said, "I wondered that the Almighty Allah had commanded me to take the life of that person in India whereas he was sitting here in your presence when his time was approaching."

(You can read here and here for more information regarding death. I have read it through briefly and I did not find anything which is against the teachings of Islam. However, I stand to be corrected. It was very difficult to locate the above condolence wish on the internet. If you have a better site, please inform me accordingly. Thanks.)

I can’t write anymore. I can’t see my screen clearly anymore.

May Allah forgive my two lovely cousins, have mercy on their souls, make them amongst the successful people and grant them Paradise.
May Allah forgive them and take good care of them.
Verily, He is the only One who could save them from the torment of the Fire and grant them the sweetness of Jannah.
Insya Allah.

Al-Fatihah.

Blog adjourned.

7 obiter dictum:

shueyshoelove said...

truly am sorry for the lost. deepest condolence. -al fatihah-

Nikeda said...

i am so sorry for your lost. hope you and your family will stay strong throughout this very sad time...
-al fatihah-

Girl Behind A Shadow said...

I cried reading ur entry. I ws fortunate 2 hv known ur lovely cousins. Whn i first met them in early dec, they were so friendly, manja n funny like we've known each other 4 a long time. They md me feel completely at ease. Then i met them again at mus n toni's weddg, n they look so glowy n full of life. Allah loves them, so He took them away so dat Shifa' n Hasanah wud alwiz be wif Him. May Allah bless their souls. Ameen.

ein said...

Berair mata baca your post. Yes, sorry for the loss. Semoga dirahmati Allah SWT.

Quiyah said...

gosh, no wonder the bride's blog is not updated..

probably busy with work, alisha and grief..

im so sorry for your lost.. It's hard to lose one, but to lose 2 of your loved ones?

Gosh, i cried while reading ur entry..

be strong both of u.. May Allah grant them Jannah..

Anonymous said...

my condolence for ur lost, buddy!

MiD said...

moga syifa and hasanah tergolong dalam golongan yang solehah dan dimasukkan ke jannatul firdaus.