Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Speechless...


My cousin / neighbour got hitched last week. Ariff and Lana looked so beautiful that night. He specifically requested that I gave a speech on his big day. I thought I'd share it with you all...


Speech for Ariff Alhabshi’s Wedding Reception.

The brain is a wonderful thing. It never stops functioning from the time you're born until the moment you stand up to make a speech.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is two_one (hehehe). I am the bridegroom’s cousin and neighbour. Today I have been asked by the bridegroom to say a few words about me, I mean about him. He rang me sometime ago. He asked me if I could say a few words about how we grew up. I was shocked! “Beb… buat ape ko nak aku cerita pasal kita, cerita pasal engkaulaa…” He just laughed and forced me to say yes. So here I am, fulfilling this difficult task.

Difficult task because it is not easy to say just a few words about him. I had sleepless nights picking out the incidences worth mentioning. Too many were there to select from. None of them were appropriate.

Ariff and I go back a long way…

I have known Ariff the moment I started to realize that there were other beings in this world except for my mom and dad. We clicked even before we could remember when. Even our bride’s names bunyi macam nak sama. Ariff’s bini muda’s name is Lana whilst my isteri muda’s name is Liyana. There is nothing that I would not do for Ariff, likewise there is nothing that Ariff would not do for me. In fact, we spent most of the time doing nothing for each other.

I remembered playing toys together when we were small. I had a He-Man miniature and he had He-Man’s Green Tiger named Cringer or Battle Cat (both of us didn’t know the name back then. I had to look it up on Wikipedia). He-Man and Cringer could keep us occupied for hours whilst our parents would have the so called “adult conversation”. Bed time was always extended back then.

Since then, we have had many epic adventures together. School holidays would usually see us being intrigued with the many activities. Some interesting and some just dead boring. We once watched Power Rangers the Movie over 4 times in one day just because we could. Not to forget Beauty and The Beast and Aladdin. I can still remember Ariff going goo goo and gaa gaa over Kimberly, the Pink Ranger and how we would mimic the Beast after he had his hair cut, “this looks soo soo Stupiid…”

I can safely say that Ariff has, in a way, shaped my sense of humour. If you find this speech rather unfunny, you can blame him.
Growing up with him, I am lucky to have a senior whom I can look up to and one who understands. Ariff is open enough to accept criticism and wise enough to reciprocate advises when needed.

I am truly happy to be here to share with the both of your happiness. I am confident that this feeling can remain for eternity but with much effort. As they say, marriage is made in heaven but solemnized on earth. My advice is to praise the Big One Up There for every single thing that makes you happy, as He has promised when He said in the Qur’an in Surah Ibrahim verse 7:

وَإِذۡ تَأَذَّنَ رَبُّكُمۡ لَٮِٕن شَڪَرۡتُمۡ لَأَزِيدَنَّكُمۡ‌ۖ وَلَٮِٕن ڪَفَرۡتُمۡ إِنَّ عَذَابِى لَشَدِيدٌ۬ (٧)

And when your Lord proclaimed: If ye give thanks, I will give you more; but if ye are thankless, lo! My punishment is dire. (7)

In other words, if you are grateful to Him, He will add more satisfaction and favours unto you… This mentality is also very much appropriate for bedroom purposes.

Therefore, before I bore everyone to sleep, I have the following conclusion to make.

To Arif, my dear cousin, remember, Marriage is a bilateral relationship where one person SHALL be right, and the other is the husband. Jokes aside, I really want to share this hadith with you.

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said:

"Take my advice with regard to women: Act kindly towards women, for they were created from a rib, and the most crooked part of a rib is its uppermost. If you attempt to straighten it; you will break it, and if you leave it alone it will remain crooked; so act kindly toward women".
[by Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

And to Lana, the newest recruit to the Abdul Kadir Alhabshi’s family, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) also said:

"The world is but a (quick passing) enjoyment; and the best enjoyment of the world is a pious and virtuous woman". [by Muslim]

I’m sure that you are, and I pray that you will forever be Ariff’s best enjoyment!

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Ariff is a truly lucky guy to have spotted Lana and Lana is as truly lucky to be stuck with him forever. And finally to everyone, on behalf of the bride and groom, I’d like to thank you for your presence and for your presents.

Jazakallahu Khair and Thank you.
So... Whadya Think?
Blog adjourned!

0 obiter dictum: